IF YOU ARE REQUIRED TO APPEAR IN COURT AS A WITNESS, BELOW ARE SOME HELPFUL TIPS.
- Tell the Truth
- The most important advice to provide is to tell the truth.
- Dress Appropriately
- It is not mandatory to wear a suit, but dress appropriately, court is a formal setting and witnesses should dress accordingly.
- It is important to present yourself as respectably as possible in court.
- Be Prepared
- Prior to your court session, think about the types of questions you will probably be asked and think about the answers you will give to be most prepared.
- Stick to the Facts
- The Judge wants to hear only the facts as you know them to be, the Judge will not want to hear what someone else told you.
- Relax, Speak Clearly
- When giving truthful answers, you have nothing to fear.
- Speak clearly when you give the Judge your answer, when you are asked questions.
- Do Not Get Frustrated
- If there is a questions you don’t understand a question, ask that it be repeated.
- Speak your answers clearly.
- Some questions might seem repetitive or irrelevant, but the attorneys are doing their job, and your job as a witness is to answer their questions to the best of your ability.
- If you become frustrated, you will need to try to keep your composure on the stand.